Data Centre Operator
Reporting to the Operations Manager, the Data Centre Technician is responsible for the day-to-day operations in our data centres from installation and physical shutdown of servers, installation of cabling, as well as basic installation of certain network devices.
The technician will be required to work with system administrators working outside of the data centers.
- Installation and cabling of rackmount servers and network hardware
- Maintain and improve data center cabling
- Delivery and reception of equipment in data centres
- Maintain inventories and conduct weekly audits
- Respond quickly and meticulously to technical requests from other departments
- Diagnose and correct hardware technical problems
- Test all incoming and outgoing IT equipment following a quality assurance process
- Check the correct operation and reset of electrical equipment
- Ensure the cleanliness of the premises
Technical skills and abilities:
- Knowledge of the different hardware components used in a server
- Be able to diagnose a material problem and apply it to solve a problem.
- Update hardware configurations
- Ability to install cabling (fiber and rj45)
- Ability to manage an inventory
- Basic knowledge of Linux and Windows operating systems
- Knowledge of remote-control tools (SSH, rdesktop, KVM-IP)
- Able to lift loads up to 50lbs.
- Team player
Qualifications and work experience:
- DEP/DEC in computer science or equivalent
- Minimum 2 years experience with IT equipment used in a data center and its physical installation (servers, switch, firewall, PDU)
- Day and evening schedule
- Night and weekend shifts